Saturday, October 19, 2013

Monster Mash ½ Marathon



     Race three of the journey with the Wounded Warrior Project is in the books.  Lets recap it.  Seeing that packet pick up would be Friday night, I decided to stay in town for the night.  This was good for two reasons.  The first one I would get enough rest between driving and running.  Secondly I negated the horror show of driving during dui prime time on the worst road this side of Maryland. 

     I got to Dover and checked into the Fairfield Inn.  The ladies at the front desk were awesome, great service.  They gave me a brief like one I get in the Army I was very pleased with this.  Got settled in and headed back out to hit the packet pick up.  This was at Dover Downs Casino.  I got there and walked the maze through the slots.  I must of looked lost since a fellow runner came running over to me to right my compass.  I found it got my packet then left.  Of course in this day and age, I had to challenge myself to find a Wal Mart, again I was successful. 

     I guess I was anxious since I woke up about every hour thinking it was time.  When I finally got out of the bed I did my pre-race ritual.  Took a nice shower got dressed then ran 4 miles to warm up.  Got to the race instruction area by Miles the Monster.  The AFJROTC presented the colors and the National Anthem was performed. 


     We then all moved to track to start the race.  500 or so runners gathered in pit lane and waited for the command to start.  We started and made the 1 mile lap of the concrete track.  I soaked it in since just a few weeks ago the Sprint Cup was racing on this track.  We exited the track and hit the roads.  The course was well managed and marked.  The full course had red arrows and the half had blue.  The Dover police were out in force at every intersection.  They even directed runners when there was a split between the two courses.  The course had plenty of water points on it and cheering squads.  I hit my first water point at 8.5 miles.  I think that was the only part of the course which was long to me just open fields from mile 7 to about 9.  The last 4 went well as I linked in with about 6 runners and we stayed in a pack to the 12  mile point then broke away from each other.  Coming over the only hill on the course I could see Miles again. 


     I crossed the finish line @ 1:54:43 my best time in almost two years.  I remained pumped and finished my last three miles of the day to get my 20 for the Savannah Marathon Training.

     This was a good event and will try to get in it again next year depending on my schedule. 





No comments:

Post a Comment