Wednesday, July 24, 2019

A Whole New World after a hiatus

 

We have all had things change in our lives.  We have all had life take us for a ride which we were not ready for.  For 8,030 days I knew what was going on or about to go on each and every one of them. Then in an instant, everything changed.
  
The process of change is not a sprint, it is a Marathon.  It took 365 days after that to find a new purpose in life.  That purpose was not unlike what I did for most of my past life, just in a different outfit.  I wore blue instead of digital digs.  My reach is much greater now and my network has grown exponentially.

For 264 months I had the honor of serving alongside some of the best people you could ever ask to meet.  I also had some of the best field trips ever during that period.  I got to fly around the world with some of my best friends, visit amazing locations, and meet new people to add to my story.

So here we are 5 years after I started to write this.  I have now worked two grown-up jobs. (The average veteran will leave a job after a year to find something better) My first position was fun at first and I was with a good team who actually cared about the client we were helping, Veterans.  I lasted two years there before the walls closed around me and made me see the light.  I have been happy for the last year and a half having a blast at my new gig. 

Lessons I learned through my career helped me to realize I never truly wanted to be at my first position, it was basic stubbornness, not wanting to be a statistic that made me stay on.  You have to be happy in order to make it through this thing we call life.  If you are chasing $ you will not find happiness, you will find a miserable job with a paycheck.  If you pursue a position where you will be happy, the $ will come as you prove yourself over and over. 

 

In the last month, I finished a goal I set for myself to attain my MPS in Emergency and Disaster Management.  As an adult learner, I can attest it was not easy, yet it was fulfilling.  I am a Hoya for life now and share that distinction with great classmates and other Alumni such as Patrick Ewing! Hoya Saxa!

 

Life continues to roll no matter how much you need a break.  If you stop and look around every once in a while, you will realize all that you miss when you are just head down running forward.  In the last few years, the marble has seen much unrest.  This unrest usually is in developing nations or at least far from our shores.  This year we have had an awakening.  I use this word because I feel it fits.  We all have a responsibility to our fellow man/woman.  Raising awareness of fairness is not a horrible thing. 

 

Things were simple for me for that last chapter of my life.  For those 8,030 days, I relied on Sisters and Brothers who were as diverse as you can imagine.  I relied on them to make sure we were successful in all missions, they relied on me to push them, to mentor them to be there for them.  They are my Brothers and Sisters; they are my family.  Any person who has worn the uniform of service to their country can say this, yes you have your family by blood however, your family grows exponentially when you don a uniform and pledge an oath to lay down your life for each other.

 

Family, is thicker than blood, is murkier than mud.  Communication amongst the family is what makes it tick.  I do not care who you are, you will never agree with everything all of your circle does.  This does not mean ex-communication; it means there needs to be a constructive dialogue amongst the circle to keep it strong. 

 

This awakening is the pushing of true issues to our forefront.  Yes, we need to address issues that have been highlighted. (you can watch the talking heads to see some of them).

 

My family was not in the United States in the 19th Century.  We were not a part of the civil war; we were not witnessed to slavery in that period.  We came in the early 20th century.  We lived in the tenements; we were pushed aside as just the next immigrant group to come to the Northeast. The only difference for us is that we can blend easily and get by after a short struggle. 

 

I have witnessed first-hand true disrespect to a person 100% because of their skin color.  In 1997, yes that is 3 years before the 21st century and 132 years after Juneteenth, I was mortified.  I was in a military school with my brothers and sisters.  One of my friends had a car issue and needed a part. Let me paint the picture a little better.  He is a 20 something African American Man. We are in the south. 

 

We enter a car parts store in the small town our school is adjacent to.  I loiter in the back of the store; he walks up to the counter to get assistance.  Suddenly the three workers address me in unison “Can we help you?”  I looked up, puzzled and said no I am with him, he needs help.  We quickly were told; he would not be helped in this store.  I told him to come to me and get out of there.  These guys would not recognize him because he was not white.  I was pissed off, he was pissed off, we left in unison and pledged never to have this happen again. 

 

Well fuck here we are in 2020 and cities are on fire.  The reason given is because of the death of Mr. George Floyd.  Yes, his death is horrendous, it should be prosecuted.  I believe this was just the tilting point.  For many years this tilting point has been there but never truly tipped over.  In 2014 it nearly tipped with the incident in St Louis.  This year with the politically charged climate and the distinctive split of our country by politicians and media, there was no stopping the tip.

 

Watching the country, I love to go into chaos and cities burn hurts to my core.  Listening to my brothers tell me how they are dealing with this, rocks me.  I have police brothers who I support 100% because I know their character, I share their values.  I understand the line they stand on daily.  Shows like LivePD  (which a network canceled due to it showing police in a good light) showed the world the split-second decisions Policewomen and men have to make daily.  I have brothers who are African American, who have to have the “talk” with their sons over and over again.  I feel for both of these groups.  They too are brothers and are being torn apart due to social issues.

 

Can we come together without causing irreparable damage?

 

That is a question I believe we need a forum of calm speaking people to discuss.  I am going to invite my Brothers and Sisters to zoom to discuss our current situation and where they believe we can go from here.  This will be real Humans, not political hacks, not paid media “experts”.  It will be the real talk amongst great Americans who have donned a uniform and put their lives in the hands of others.

 

I will reach out to the band of MisFits to see who will engage and how to move this forward productively. 

 

Until next time.  Stay positive, Stay Safe.


  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment