Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pirate Fest 5K



Havre De Grace Pirate Fest 5K
13 July 2013

A beautiful clear hot summer day in July.  

Argg Mateys should have been the theme for the day.  



     Elite Race Management was in charge of the event which was raising funds for the Susquehanna Lock House Museum.  The lock house sits on the harbor in Havre De Grace, Md.  As the 425 or so runners milled around the start line waiting for the horn to go off, the announcer lets us know that the water station has been stolen.  What??????



     Who steals a water station?  I guess it is a sign of the times.  This did not bother me so much since I never stop for water on 5Ks.  Today however the heat index was crazy and I was planning on grabbing some.  

     Well with water thievery aside.  The runners lined up ready to go.  The siren goes off and we take off.  The heat is not bad till we turn onto Juanita Street.  It is wide open with no trees for shade.  It is hot and draining.  I decided that a PR was not going to happen so I just cruised along.  I was tempted to go in a store and buy water, but drove on.  

     The course was actually pretty flat with maybe one hill of concern at the start.  The run took you through most of the Historic portion of the city.  Along the water for the last 2/3 of the race till you turned for the finish where role players were there dressed as pirates and selling their goods.  
This was a fun race and I will most likely be at it again next year. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely run, and I agree who steals a water stop...Wow...great post, thanks for sharing...blessings.

    Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

    ReplyDelete